Tuesday, November 20, 2012

The Confident Child


The Confident Child

Mary Stuart, E.C.E.D.H., RECE

We all want and desire our children to become confident, secure, feeling positive about themselves – their abilities, their personalities, their temperaments, their interests.
We want to them to feel convinced they can try new things and to be open to all that this world has to offer.

How we help them to become confident is a delicate balance of letting them try and fail, encouraging their effort and rather than the end result,
and teaching them strategies to move beyond any of their challenges. Lifelong lessons we all are still learning.

One sure thing we can do is teach by example. One of the most powerful influences on children is our actions. We constantly model how to treat each other, how to speak to each other, how to get over challenges, how to foster relationships, and how to instill virtues of goodness, honesty, integrity, truthfulness, …

Confidence building begins with you and me, teacher and parents together.

Here is a wonderful poem that gives us pause about our actions:

WHEN YOU THOUGHT I WASN'T LOOKING
, Clarence Budinton Kelland

When you thought I wasn’t looking, I saw you hang up my first painting on the refrigerator, and I wanted to paint another one

When you thought I wasn’t looking, I saw you feed a stray cat, and I thought it was good to be kind to animals

When you thought I wasn’t looking, I saw you make my favourite cake for me, and I knew that little things are special things.

When you thought I wasn’t looking, I heard you say a prayer, and I believed there is a God I could always talk to.

When you thought I wasn’t looking, I felt you kiss me goodnight, and I felt loved.

Whey you thought I wasn’t looking, I saw that you cared, and I wanted to be everything I could be.

When you thought I wasn’t’ looking, I LOOKED… and wanted to say thanks for all the things I saw when you thought I wasn’t looking.

Be Their Positive Role Model

Who we are and what we do shouts louder than anything we can say...and children absorb your message...

Care Deeply, Speak Kindly... Your Child Will Thank You!

Mary


Hope you enjoyed this little poem...I just had to share it.
~Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment